Medical reasons not to ingest living earthworms and geckos

There can, this report implies, be definite medical reasons not to ingest living earthworms and geckos:

Visceral larva migrans associated with earthworm and gecko ingestion: a case report,” Tao Yu1, Li-Na Zhao, Miao-Jing Fan, Huan Wu and Qi-Kui Chen, Journal of Medical Case Reports, epub July 18, 2012, The authors, at Sun Yatsen University, Guangzhou, China,  report:

“Visceral larva migrans is a syndrome caused by an infection with larval helminths, which may result in partial or general pathological changes in host tissues…. We report here the case of a 21-year-old Chinese man who, having ingested living earthworms and geckos at a witch’s suggestion, presented with fatigue and wordlessness lasting for one year along with elevated transaminase levels for one month.”

Leave a Reply