Download a free, cheesy low-res PDF of this issue
Table of Contents for
Vol. 11, No. 2, Mar/Apr 2005
Puzzling Solutions issue
The features marked with a star (*) are based entirely on material taken straight from standard research (and other Official and Therefore Always Correct) literature. Many of the other articles are genuine, too, but we don't know which ones.
On the front cover: A collection of solutions to various little-known or unknown puzzles. Photo: A.S. Kaswell.
(To see the front cover enlarged, click on the image.)
On the back cover: Photomicrographs of skin sections. The two heart shape are the fortuitous entering of dermis into the epidermis that occurred during sectioning. The flower shape is actually a hair follicle. The images were taken by Anna Batistatou, Assistant Professor of Pathology, and Konstantinos Charalabopoulos, Associate Professor of Physiology, both at the University of Ioannina Medical School, in Greece.
(To see the back cover enlarged, click on the image.)
Cover design by Peaco Todd.
Special Section: PUZZLING SOLUTIONS
- 11 -- The Lost Theorems of Kakutani* -- Stanley Eigen
- 14 -- The “Name Number” for Geology, and for Other Professions* -- Kevin Krajik
- 16 -- Puzzling Solutions -- Emil Filterbag
- IFC -- Other Einsteins* (Part 2) -- A.S. Kaswell, with Jessica Girard
- 4 -- Dracula’s Pellagra and Lois Lane’s Lungs: Further Gleanings From the Medical Literature* -- Christopher D. McManus
- 18 -- Stilettos and Schizophrenia* -- Paul Mackin, Peter Gallagher and Lucy Robinson
- 10 -- AIRhead Research Review* -- Dirk Manley
- 12 -- AIRhead Medical Review* -- Bertha Vanatian
- 13 -- Boys Will Be Boys* -- Katherine Lee
- 22 -- Soft is Hard* -- Alice Shirrell Kaswell, G. Neil Martin, and Bissell Mango
- 26 -- The Strategic Jesus Research Review* -- Stephen Drew
- 29 -- Curling Rock Research* -- Tige Lament
- 29 -- May We Recommend* -- Stephen Drew
News & Notes
- 2 -- AIR Vents (letters from our readers)
- 23 -- Socially Scientific-- Robin Abrahams
- 28 -- HMO-NO News: Healthy Genes!
- 28 -- AIR Books
- 29 -- Teachers Guide
- 30 -- Bends on the Learning Curve -- Richard Lederer
- 31 -- “Wants to Know” -- Nick Kim
- 31 -- Back Issues
- IBC -- Unclassified Ads
- (see www.improbable.com for details of coming events)