Download a free, cheesy low-res PDF of this issue
Table of Contents for
Vol. 11, No. 4, Jul/Aug 2005
Snails & Cookies Issue
The features marked with a star (*) are based entirely on material taken straight from standard research (and other Official and Therefore Always Correct) literature. Many of the other articles are genuine, too, but we don't know which ones.
On the front cover: A hybrid solution for the transport of data. For details see page 6. Photo: Herbert Bishko.
(To see the front cover enlarged, click on the image.)
On the back cover: A mechanical device claimed to be in use by McVities. The company’s press release says: “With its mechanical mouth and teeth the Crumb Test Dummy has been specially designed to munch biscuits and produce crumbs in the same way as the average human.” Photo: McVities.
(To see the back cover enlarged, click on the image.)
Cover design by Peaco Todd.
Special Section: SNAILS & COOKIES
- 4 -- Sluggish Data Transport Is Faster Than ADSL*-- Ami Ben-Bassat, Revital Ben-David-Zaslow, Shimon Schocken and Yossi Vardi
- 9 -- Slug Research Review* -- Nan Swift and Jessica Girard
- 14 -- Slugs, Snails and Coffee -- Grover Quist
- 16 -- “Toll House” Recipe Cookies Do Not Maintain Their Morphology Under Heat Stress Conditions -- Michael Cammer
- IFC -- Other Einsteins* (Part 4) -- A.S. Kaswell, with Jessica
- 12 -- The Name Number(s) for Political Science* -- Richard Neimi
- 11 -- AIRhead Research Review* -- Dirk Manley
- 10 -- Soft is Hard* -- Alice Shirrell Kaswell, G. Neil Martin,
and Bissell Mango
- 15 -- AIRhead Medical Review* -- Bertha Vanatian
- 25 -- Boys Will Be Boys* -- Katherine Lee
- 26 -- Icky Cutesy Research Review* -- Tige Lament
- 28 -- Scientists Now Know* -- Olph DeShaies
- 29 -- May We Recommend* -- Stephen Drew
News & Notes
- 2 -- AIR Vents (letters from our readers)
- 7 -- AIR Books
- 20 -- Puzzling Solutions -- Emil Filterbag
- 27 -- Ig Nobel Invitation
- 28 -- HMO-NO News: Medicine Rocks!
- 29 -- Teachers Guide
- 30 -- Bends on the Learning Curve -- Richard Lederer
- 31 -- CARTOON: “This Stupid Bush” -- Nick Kim
- 31 -- Back Issues
- IBC -- Unclassified Ads
- (see www.improbable.com for details of coming events)