Download a free, cheesy low-res PDF of this issue
Table of Contents for
Vol. 11, No. 6, Nov/Dec 2005
Ig Nobel issue
The features marked with a star (*) are based entirely on material taken straight from standard research (and other Official and Therefore Always Correct) literature. Many of the other articles are genuine, too, but we don't know which ones.
On the front cover: The 2005 Ig Nobel Prize Winners, joined by the Nobel Laureates and the 24/7 Lecturers, on the stage of Harvard University's Sanders Theater at the conclusion of the ceremony. Photo: John Bradley.
(To see the front cover enlarged, click on the image.)
On the back cover: A Penguin displays the fruits of repeated projectile defecation. This year's Ig Nobel Biology Prize winners were honored for calculating the pressure that builds up inside a penguin. See inside for details of their work. Photo: Victor Benno Meyer-Rochow.
(To see the back cover enlarged, click on the image.)
Cover design by Peaco Todd.
Special Section: THE 2005 IG NOBEL PRIZES (NOTE: and for still further details, see the Ig Nobel portion of our web site)
- 4 -- The 2005 Ig Nobel Prize Ceremony* -- Stephen Drew
- 8 -- The Winners*
- 13 -- Sweeping Success*
- 14 -- The Acceptance Speeches*
- 18 -- The 24/7 Lectures*
- 20 -- Jamaican Antarctic Expedition Leader*
- 22 -- mini-Opera Libretto: “The Count of Infinity”
- 29 -- The Infinite Lectures*
- IFC -- Other Einsteins* (Part 6) -- A.S. Kaswell, with Jessica
- 21 -- AIRhead Research Review* -- Dirk Manley
- 27 -- May We Recommend* -- Stephen Drew
News & Notes
- 2 -- AIR Vents (letters from our readers)
- 12 -- AIR Books
- 26 -- Socially Scientific -- Robin Abrahams
- 27 -- Teachers Guide
- 27 -- Ig Nobel Invitation
- 28 -- Intelligent Design*
- 28 -- HMO-NO News: Natural Healing Incentives!
- 30 -- Bends on the Learning Curve -- Richard Lederer
- 31 -- CARTOON: “Fluid Dynamics” -- Nick Kim
- 31 -- Back Issues
- IBC -- Unclassified Ads
- (see www.improbable.com for details of coming events)