Download a free, cheesy low-res PDF of this issue
Table of Contents for
Vol. 12, No. 3, May/Jun 2006
Fish & Chips issue
The features marked with a star (*) are based entirely on material taken straight from standard research (and other Official and Therefore Always Correct) literature. Many of the other articles are genuine, too, but we don't know which ones.
On the front cover: Massimiliano Zampini bites precisely once into a Pringles potato chip, listening to enhanced sound of the chew via headphones, and registering his crispness assessment via the foot pedals. See page 6. Photo courtesy of Massimiliano Zampini and Charles Spence.
(To see the front cover enlarged, click on the image.)
On the back cover: Mathematical chocolates. From a package of Trader Joe’s Belgium’s best Belgian Chocolate Assortment 500 gram box. Box sent by investigator Tatiana Divens. Photo: M. Abrahams / Improbable Research staff.
(To see the back cover enlarged, click on the image.)
Cover design by Peaco Todd.
Special Section: FISH
- 12 -- Fish, Fish, Fish* -- Alice Shirrell Kaswell
- 16 -- Hamburger and Salmon, and Cancer* -- Stephen Drew
Special Section: CHIPS
- 6 -- Pringles in Your Ear* -- Marc Abrahams
Special Section: GRAILS
- 18 -- In Search of Astronomy’s Holy Grail* -- Steve Nadis
- 20 -- Deconstructing Astronomy’s Holy Grail* -- Steve Nadis
Improbable Research Reviews*
- IFC -- More Dull Stuff* -- Nan Swift
- 4 -- Improbable Research Review* -- Dirk Manley
- 5 -- Improbable Medical Review* -- Bertha Vanatian
- 10 -- Boys Will Be Boys* -- Katherine Lee
- 24 -- Hairball Trio* -- Noel Raizman
- 25 -- Soft is Hard* -- Alice Shirrell Kaswell and Bissell Mango
- 26 -- The Adventures of M.D. Levitt, M.D.* -- Nan Swift
- 29 -- May We Recommend* -- Stephen Drew
- 29 -- Icky Cutesy Research Review* -- Alice Shirrell Kaswell
News & Notes
- 2 -- AIR Vents (letters from our readers)
- 11 -- Ig Nobel Invitation
- 14 -- AIR Books
- 23 -- Teachers Guide
- 24 -- HMO-NO News: Animal-Tested Meds!
- 28 -- Puzzling Solutions -- Emil Filterbag
- 30 -- Bends on the Learning Curve -- Richard Lederer
- 31 -- CARTOON: “McAlister’s Aim” -- Nick Kim
- 31 -- Back Issues
- IBC -- Unclassified Ads
- (see www.improbable.com for details of coming events)