Download a free, cheesy low-res PDF of this issue
Table of Contents for
Vol. 12, No. 4, Jul/Aug 2006
The The issue
The features marked with a star (*) are based entirely on material taken straight from standard research (and other Official and Therefore Always Correct) literature. Many of the other articles are genuine, too, but we don't know which ones.
On the front cover: Some occurrences of the word 'The' on book covers. These sometimes pose problems for people who prepare indexes or who arrange the order of books on library shelves. The dilemmas are examined in several studies in this issue. Photo: A.S. Kaswell, Improbable Research staff.
(To see the front cover enlarged, click on the image.)
On the back cover: A photo mélange prepared by the authors of the study “Stock Market Behavior Predicted by Rat Neurons,” which appears on page 22 of this issue.
(To see the back cover enlarged, click on the image.)
Cover design by Peaco Todd.
Special Section: FISH
- 6 -- Where The* -- Marc Abrahams
- 8 -- An/The/An Index of Confusion * -- Philip O’Leary
- 10 -- NA and Missing Library Books* -- Joyce Flynn
- 11 -- The The Research Review* -- Alice Shirrell Kaswell
- IFC -- When You Can Divide by Zero* -- Stanley Eigen
- 22 -- Stock Market Behavior Predicted by Rat Neurons* -- Timothy Marzullo, Edward Rantze and Gregory Gage
Improbable Research Reviews*
- 4 -- Improbable Research Review* -- Dirk Manley
- 5 -- Improbable Medical Review* -- Bertha Vanatian
- 12 -- Kulicke, Kulicke, Kulicke, Kulicke...* -- Nan Swift
- 17 -- Icky Cutesy Research Review* -- Alice Shirrell Kaswell
- 20 -- Soft is Hard* -- Alice Shirrell Kaswell and Bissell Mango
- 21 -- May We Recommend* -- Stephen Drew
- 28 -- Boys Will Be Boys* -- Katherine Lee
News & Notes
- 2 -- AIR Vents (letters from our readers)
- 9 -- AIR Books
- 13 -- Ig Nobel Invitation
- 14 -- The European Bureau Is Open* -- Willem O. de Jongste [NOTE: and here is a link to a parallel article, in Dutch, that appeared in the journal Straatgras.
- 18 -- POEM: “The Reviewer” -- Lloyd Fricker
- 21 -- Teachers Guide
- 25 -- HMO-NO News: Cure By Commitment!
- 26 -- Puzzling Solutions -- Emil Filterbag
- 30 -- Bends on the Learning Curve -- Richard Lederer
- 31 -- CARTOON: “Two Wrongs”” -- Nick Kim
- 31 -- Back Issues
- IBC -- Unclassified Ads
- (see www.improbable.com for details of coming events)