Download a free, cheesy low-res PDF of this issue
Table of Contents
for Vol. 12, No. 6, Nov/Dec 2006
Ig Nobel Issue
The features marked with a star (*) are based entirely on material taken straight from standard research (and other Official and Therefore Always Correct) literature. Many of the other articles are genuine, too, but we don't know which ones.
On the front cover: Ivan Schwab, co-winner of the Ig Nobel Ornithology Prize, delivers his acceptance speech at the ceremony. Photo: Kees Moeliker.
(To see the front cover enlarged, click on the image.)
On the back cover: Ig Nobel Mathematics Prize winners Nic Svenson (at the microphone) and Piers Barnes (wielding a camera) deliver their acceptance speech. They calculated how many group photos one must take to (almost) ensure that nobody’s eyes are closed. Group photo: David Holzman.
(To see the back cover enlarged, click on the image.)
Cover design by Peaco Todd.
Special Section: IG NOBEL
- 6 -- The 2006 Ig Nobel Prize Ceremony * -- Stephen Drew
- 9 -- The Inertia Debates*
- 10 -- The Winners*
- 14 -- The Acceptance Speeches*
- 20 -- mini-Opera Libretto: “Inertia Makes the World Go Around”
- 24 -- The 24/7 Lectures*
- 28 -- Glauber’s Big Night*
Improbable Research Reviews*
- IFC -- Problematization* -- Sylvester S. Sylvester, Sr.
- 4 -- Improbable Research Review* -- Dirk Manley
- 5 -- Improbable Medical Review* -- Bertha Vanatian
- 27 -- May We Recommend* -- Stephen Drew
- 29 -- Boys Will Be Boys* -- Katherine Lee
News & Notes
- 2 -- AIR Vents (letters from our readers)
- 13 -- AIR Books
- 29 -- HMO-NO News: Manageable Symptoms!
- 30 -- Teachers Guide
- 30 -- Bends on the Learning Curve -- Richard Lederer
- 31 -- CARTOON: “Photon Problems” -- Nick Kim
- 31 -- Back Issues
- IBC -- Unclassified Ads
- (see www.improbable.com for details of coming events)