Download a free, cheesy low-res PDF of this issue
Table of Contents for
Vol. 13, No. 5, Sept/Oct 2007
The Meaning of the Finger issue
The features marked with a star (*) are based entirely on material taken straight from standard research (and other Official and Therefore Always Correct) literature. Many of the other articles are genuine, too, but we don't know which ones.
Special Section: The Meaning of the Finger
- 6 -- Finger Celebrities*—Alice Shirrell Kaswell and Stephen Drew
- 14 -- The Meaning of the Finger*—Stephen Drew and Alice Shirrell Kaswell
- 27 -- Digital Incarceration: The Finger Pillory*—Stephen Drew
- 22 -- Spectroscopic Discrimination of Shit from Shinola—Thomas H. Painter, Michael E. Schaepman, Wolf Schweizer and Jason Brazile
Improbable Research Reviews*
- IFC -- Menstrual Joy* -- Nan Swift
- 4 -- Improbable Research Review* -- Dirk Manley
- 5 -- Improbable Medical Review* -- Bertha Vanatian
- 29 -- Boys Will Be Boys* -- Katherine Lee
News & Notes
- 1 -- Ig Nobel Invitation
- 2 -- AIR Vents (letters from our readers)
- 3 -- AIR Books
- 13 -- Teachers Guide
- 24 -- Hooray for Secrecy (and Murder)* -- B. Vanatian
- 28 -- HMO-NO News: Do You Smell!
- 30 -- Bends on the Learning Curve -- Richard Lederer
- 31 -- CARTOON: "Awkward Afternoon" -- Nick Kim
- 31 -- Back Issues
- IBC -- Unclassified Ads
On the front cover: Highlight from Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel ceiling painting, with extra fingers and extra meaning added. Painting:Michelangelo and Milo Sacramento.
On the back cover: Guides for measuring the length and width of a middle finger. From the US government document “Physical Characteristics of Children As Related to Death and Injury for Consumer Product Design and Use,” UM-HSRI-BI-75-5 Final Report Contract FDA-72-70 May 1975.
Cover design by Peaco Todd.
- (see www.improbable.com for details of coming events)