|February 13, 2016, Saturday, 8:00-10:00 pm.
American Association for the Advancement of Science annual meeting, Washington, DC. USA — Omni Shoreham Hotel, 2500 Calvert St NW, in the Diplomat Ballroom. The meeting will include the annual Improbable Research show, with:
This special evening session is open free to the public.
||The 2016 Ig Nobel Eurotour: Norway, Denmark, Sweden, UK, Switzerland. Marc Abrahams and a gaggle of Ig Nobel Prize winners will do shows in five countries:
- UNIVERSITY OF OSLO, Norway, in Realfagsbiblioteket, Vilhelm Bjerknes’ hus, Moltke Moes vei 35 — Friday, March 4, 4:00 pm. Featuring: Marc Abrahams (founder of the Ig Nobel Prize ceremony); Eigil Reimers (how reindeer respond to humans disguised as polar bears); Elizabeth Oberzaucher (Ig Nobel winner —whether and how Moulay Ismael the Bloodthirsty, the Sharifian Emperor of Morocco managed to father 888 children); Andrea Rapisarda (Ig Nobel winner — organizations would become more efficient if they promoted people at random); Anneleen Kool (Luxuriant Flowing Hair Club for Scientists — LFHCfS).
- AARHUS UNIVERSITY, Denmark, Aarhus, in the Ceremonial Hall — Wednesday & Thursday, March 8 & 9, evening. (TICKETS). (NOTE: There are also optional events immediately before and after each Aarhus show. BEFORE the show, there is a BUFFET —separate tickets are required for the buffet. AFTER the show, there is a reception — free, no tickets required — for every one, at the Steno Science Museum.) Featuring: Marc Abrahams; Elizabeth Oberzaucher; Mark Dingemanse (Ig Nobel winner — the word “huh?” seems to exist in every human language); Michael Smith (Ig Nobel winner — carefully arranging for honey bees to sting him repeatedly on 25 different locations on his body).
- RIVE KATEDRALSKOLE, Riba, Denmark — Wednesday, March 9, morning. Special show for students.
- ROEDKILDE GYMNASIUM, Vejle, Denmark — Wednesday, March 9, afternoon. Special show for students.
- UNIVERSITY OF COPENHAGEN, Denmark, in the Festsalen, Frue Plads 4 — Thursday, March 10. Featuring: Marc Abrahams; Elizabeth Oberzaucher; Mark Dingemanse; Michael Smith.
- TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY OF DENMARK, Lyngby, Denmark, in Anker Engelundsvej 1, Building 116, Auditorium 81, 2800 Kgs. — Friday, March 11, 13:45. Featuring: Marc Abrahams; Elizabeth Oberzaucher; Mark Dingemanse; Michael Smith.
- STOCKHOLM, Sweden, location TBA — Saturday, March 12, evening. Featuring: Marc Abrahams; Elizabeth Oberzaucher; Mark Dingemanse; Michael Smith.
- KAROLINSKA INSTITUTE, Stockholm, Sweden — Sunday, March 13, afternoon. Featuring: Marc Abrahams; Elizabeth Oberzaucher; Mark Dingemanse; Michael Smith.
- BRUNEL UNIVERSITY, London, UK — Monday, March 14, 7:00 pm. Featuring: Marc Abrahams, Helen Ashdown and colleagues (Ig Nobel winner — acute appendicitis can be accurately diagnosed by driving the patient over speed bumps); Gavin Pretor-Pinney — founder of the Cloud Appreciation Society); Minna Lyons (Ig Nobel winner — night owls tend to more psychopathic than early risers), Andrew J.T. George (the bad poetry of William Topaz McGonagall); David Hu (Ig Nobel winner — most mammals urinate, on average, in 21 seconds)
- IMPERIAL COLLEGE LONDON, UK, in the Great Hall — Friday, March 18, 6:00 pm. Featuring: Marc Abrahams; Helen Ashdown and colleagues; Marina de Tomasso (Ig Nobel winner — relative pain while viewing ugly paintings vs. pretty paintings); David Hu (Ig Nobel winner — most mammals urinate, on average, in 21 seconds)
- EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland, in the CO1 Auditorium. — Wednesday, March 23, 6:00 pm. Marc Abrahams; Elizabeth Oberzaucher; Stephan Bolliger (Ig Nobel winner — Is it is better to be smashed over the head with a full bottle of beer, or with an empty bottle?); Emily Baird (Ig Nobel winner — dung beetles use the Milky Way for navigation)
Other shows TBA. (If your institution would like to host a show, please get in touch with us ASAP!)
|September 22, 2016, Thursday.
||26th First Annual Ig Nobel Prize ceremony, Sanders Theatre, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA. Tickets will go on sale in July, exclusively from the Harvard Box Office. Details TBA.
|September 24, 2016, Saturday.
||Ig Informal Lectures, MIT, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA. Details TBA.