Annals of Improbable Research (AIR)
Table of Contents for Volume 8, Issue 2, Mar/Apr 2002
PIZZA, SEX, AND TELEVISION (and CHEESE) Issue
On the front cover: The survey form used to learn whether people prefer watching television to having sex. See page 20.
Photo: A.S. Kaswell. Cover design by Peaco Todd. (To see the front cover enlarged, click on the image.)
On the back cover: To find out what the "This" of "What Is This?" is, see page 1 of the print issue. (To see the back cover enlarged, click on the image.)
The features marked with a star (*) are based entirely on material taken straight from standard research (and other Official and Therefore Always Correct) literature. Many of the other articles are genuine, too, but we don't know which ones.
Special Section: Pizza, Sex, and Television (and Cheese)
- 4 -- Pizza and Progress -- Robert Friedel
- 11 -- The Neglect of Cheese in European Literature -- G.K. Chesterton
- 14 -- Oscilloscopic Analysis of Cheese Chewing -- Lon Chayre
- 16 -- The Stomach Compartment Theory -- S.C. Ralphs, K.F. Ralphs, K.S. Yoho, and P. Pacchiana
- 20 -- The Effect of Television on Sexual Behavior -- Jennifer A. Zimmerman
- 26 -- The Third Sex -- Nan Swift
- 24 -- Television Saturation Experiment -- Jeff Van Bueren
AIRhead Research Roundup*
- 27 -- AIRhead Research Review* -- Dirk Manley
- 29 -- May We Recommend* -- Stephen Drew
- 30 -- Plucked From Obscurity: Crustless Sandwich* -- Marina Tsipis
- 28 -- AIRhead Medical Review*-- Bertha Vanatian, M.D.
- 29 -- The HMO NO Newsletter: Medicine Before Its Time!
Images & Poetry
- 19 -- Glub, Glub -- Nick Kim
- 23 -- Das Mondschaf / The Moonsheep -- Christian Morgenstern / Jerry Lettvin
- Back cover-- What Is This Picture?
News & Notes
- 2 -- AIR Vents (letters from our readers)
- 30 -- Bends on the Learning Curve -- Richard Lederer
- 31 -- Solution to Last Issues Puzzler
- 8 -- English, German and Italian AIR and Time
- 11 -- Teachers Guide
- 15 -- Ig Nobel Prize Ceremony Info
- 31-- Stale AIR
- Inside back cover -- Unclassified Ads